Agriculture may not be the most glamorous M2M service sector in today’s heavily populated post-industrial world of the Internet, smartphones, and computer tablets, yet it is huge with many sub-sectors. And besides, all of the over 7 billion humans now on the planet still have to eat. Farm processes and management have become increasingly automated, sharing in the convergence of IT, communications and automation found in other industries.
Unique applications revolve around the planting, cultivation, and harvesting of crops and the raising and slaughtering of livestock, but many application areas closely resemble those found in other sectors. The success of M2M solutions in the world of agriculture and food production is well known. In fact, some of the most effective means of reducing processing costs and improving yield have been through the deployment of M2M technology. The biggest application area within agriculture is the reduction of wastage within land cultivation by means of remote monitoring of irrigation systems and logistical processes such as container asset management.
Most of the applications for agriculture, livestock production and environment are used in zones poorly covered by traditional cellular networks. Sensors deployed on farms and used on animals need to have batteries and great autonomy to avoid additional constraints to farmers. Operating margins in these sectors are very low, so inexpensive systems and low induced costs are critical. The WAVIoT solution for M2M network aggregates all these benefits allowing operators to significantly improve their productivity.
LPWAN is the engine of long-range IoT. NB-Fi is the high-octane fuel for LPWAN.
Why NB-Fi is the best for smart Agriculture
WAVIoT approach is ideal for wide-area agriculture applications due to the small power budget available, the long-range requirements, and the small data size needed for transmission.
- Low cost for sensor integration and entire remote sensing system gives a high ROI on a large-scale project.
- High scalability. A capacity of one single gateway is more than 2 000 000 sensors allows scaling system by simply plugging new smart devices with no-mesh infrastructure costs.
- Wide area. The range of IoT gateway is 30+ km in the open country allows to a have a global network reach.
- High autonomy. Very low energy consumption resulting in long lasting autonomous remote devices avoiding the high cost of battery replacement for 10-20 years.
- Reliability. NB-Fi long-range protocol specially designed for large-scale projects in a harsh environment with the use of the narrowband approach unlike to LoRa.
- User-friendly. IoT cloud platform allows to get and manage data online. Easy integration with company IT-systems with open API.
- High availability for worldwide LPWAN deployments with the support of different ISM bands such as 915, 868, 500, 433 MHz and others.
- Experience. NB-Fi proved technology by more than 500 000 WAVIoT smart sensors and controllers deployed worldwide.
Related IoT applications
- Irrigation control
- Weather related parameters monitoring
- Soil condition monitoring: moisture, acidity, etc.
- Security of life stocks, farms equipment, crops
- Animal health status control
- Measuring of water storage consumption